Sky Blue FC Three Game Win Streak Ends In Washington

Sky Blue FC, NWSL, soccer
Photo by Nicole Gamard, ISI Photos.
Sky Blue FC, NWSL, soccer
Photo by Nicole Gamard, ISI Photos.

Sky Blue FC’s three game winning streak was snapped in a 3-1 loss on the road to Washington Spirit. The National Women’s Soccer League match, originally scheduled for Saturday, was delayed a day because of inclement weather in the area around the Maryland SoccerPlex.

“We are obviously disappointed with the result and our overall performance,” said Christy Holly, Sky Blue FC head coach. “Both individually and collectively, we know that we can play much better.  However, one setback is not going to make us lose sight of what we have achieved so far this season, nor will we lose sight of what we want to achieve throughout the remainder of the year.”

Washington created some dangerous opportunities on set plays over the first half-hour of this contest, particularly on a pair of corner kicks that saw them have multiple chances before eventual Sky Blue FC clearances.

Washington was able to put away the first goal of the match in the 28th minute, as Spirit forward Katie Stengel ran down a ball on the line before passing to midfielder Johanna Lohman. At the same time, Estefania Banini was speeding through the center of the Sky Blue FC box. Lohman then played Banini, who quickly gathered before slotting the ball inside the left post to give the hosts a 1-0 advantage.

Sky Blue FC was able to capitalize on a mistake in the 33rd minute, as Washington defender Megan Oyster attempted to head a ball back to goalkeeper Kelsey Wys. Unable to get enough power on the playback, Tasha Kai raced onto the ball before Wys arrived, immediately striking away the equalizer to level this encounter at 1-1.

In the 39th minute, the Spirit was able to regain the lead, as forward Cheyna Williams collected distribution from defender Caprice Dyadasco in the middle of the box. After acquiring possession, Williams turned on a shot that cut inside the far post. With the tally, Washington eventually headed into the intermission with a 2-1 edge.

Kai nearly leveled again for Sky Blue FC in the second half after helping to create a pair of opportunities. The first one occurred in the 60th minute, as midfielder Raquel Rodriguez collected on the Sky Blue FC half and sent a ball forward for Maya Hayes on the left flank. Hayes then played into space before splitting two Spirit defenders and finding Kai as she entered the area. Kai then one-touched a nice attempt towards the goal that forced a kick save from Wys.

Two minutes later, Hayes was able to dispossess Oyster on top of the 18, which led to a ball deflecting to Kai. She then collected the rebound before running into the box with it, but her ensuing shot attempt was knocked away by Wys.

Washington eventually added an insurance goal in stoppage time, as forward Cali Farquharson first entered the area with the ball before a blocked shot by defender Kristin Grubka landed at the feet of defender Alyssa Kleiner on the left corner of the 18. Kleiner briefly settled before firing a left-footed shot that hit the back of the net.