In less than two seasons, the three stars are leaving their mark on the top professional league in the U.S., and their popularity is seen clearly when looking at the top-10 most popular MLS jerseys.
When tracking sales from the start of the 2016 season, Pirlo ranks first, Villa third and Lampard ninth. The three were also among the 10 most popular jerseys sold in 2015, the inaugural season in MLS for NYCFC.
“It is quite an honor that we have three players who are in the top 10 for jersey sales in MLS this season,” said Jon Patricof, NYCFC president. “It’s a huge testament to our fans from New York City and around the world as they continue to show their support for our club.”
The current 2016 Top-10 is below:
- Andrea Pirlo – New York City FC
- Clint Dempsey – Seattle Sounders FC
- David Villa – New York City FC
- Jordan Morris – Seattle Sounders FC
- Steve Gerrard – LA Galaxy
- Kaka – Orlando City SC
- Didier Drogba – Montreal Impact
- Sebastian Giovinco – Toronto FC
- Frank Lampard – New York City FC
- Dom Dwyer – Sporting Kansas City