Atlanta United FC’s logo features a combination of red, black and gold — all for specific reasons — along with several design elements that each has a specific meaning.
According to the team’s website, black represents a symbol of strength and power. Red represents pride and passion while gold epitomizes the team’s commitment to excellence. In addition, the five elements that combine on the crest represent the following (as listed on the team’s website):
- Circle: Inspired by the city’s seal and the city’s Olympic heritage. It is a symbol of unity and globalization. It represents the never-ending passion for this city and for this club.
- The A: The bold “A” at the center of the logo puts the focus on the enduring strength of Atlanta. The “A” is anchored to the circle symbolizing its connection to the community.
- United: Atlanta is a modern, international city that embraces all its citizens. We have an inclusive fan base that is progressive and passionate. A fan base that is becoming one voice. We all gather together and stand United.
- Stripes: The five stripes represent the pillars of our character. Unity. Determination, Community, Excellence and Innovation. The black stripes are also a nod to Atlanta’s history as a railroad town.
- FC: We are called a Football Club because we are more than just a team. We are the fans, we are the community, we are Atlanta. Taken from the voices of the citizens. This is your city, this is your club. We are Atlanta United FC.
The team officially joins MLS on the pitch in the 2017 season.