St. John’s Battles Top Ranked Hoyas To Scoreless Draw

St. John's Soccer, soccer
Anna Maria Baldursdottir battles against Georgetown. Photo: St. John's Univ.
St. John's Soccer, soccer
Anna Maria Baldursdottir battles against Georgetown. Photo: St. John’s Univ.

The St. John’s women’s soccer team battled No. 6/3 Georgetown to a scoreless draw at Belson Stadium on Thursday night.

“I thought it was an excellent performance,” Head Coach Ian Stone said. “I’m really happy because I think we finally produced the type of game that we’re capable of. I’ll give them a lot of credit for being a resilient bunch because we were disappointed after the way we played against Marquette and for us to come out and play that way against Georgetown, I’m very proud of the effort they all brought.”

The Red Storm (6-2-5, 1-1-2 Big East) kept pace with the Hoyas (9-1-2, 1-1-2 Big East) through the game’s first 45 minutes, thanks in large part to the back line. In the 26th minute, Georgetown’s Grace Demaska was alone in the box and sent a shot on net, but Mikhaila Martinov (Northport) cleared the line, keeping it scoreless.

After being outshot 9-5 over the first 40 minutes, keeper Diana Poulin (Hauppauge) made a big save on a Crystal Thomas shot, sending the ball over the bar for one of her two stops in the opening half.

Later in the half, Georgetown won three corner kicks in a span of a minute, all of which were defended. Then, the Johnnies responded on the counter. Streaking up the right side, Christina Bellero (Melville) sent a shot that banged off the crossbar and the two teams went into the break scoreless.

In the second half, the Red Storm turned it up offensively. In the 50th  minute, Claudia Cagnina (Lindenhurst) sent a shot that sailed just over the bar. Samie Scaffidi followed with a shot that went wide in the 52nd minute, before Morgan Tinari (Holbrook) fired a shot off target in the 53rd minute. Shea Connors ended the flurry with a shot on target, but Arielle Schechtman turned it aside.

Much of the first overtime session was played in the midfield with Georgetown taking the period’s only shot. Again, the Johnnies won a late corner kick, but couldn’t convert, forcing a second overtime period. In the second extra session, Georgetown recorded the only shot and the game ended in a 0-0 draw.

Overall, the Hoyas held a 16-12 advantage in shots and a 15-7 edge in corners. Poulin made three saves to pick up her ninth clean sheet of the season.

Game coverage provided by St. John’s University Athletics Communications Department.