New York Red Bulls 3
Montreal Impact 1
Goals: NY: 5’ Bradley Wright-Phillips (assist Florian Valot), 57’ Alejandro Romero Gamarra (assist Bradley Wright-Phillips), 76’ Michael Amir Murillo (assist Kamar Lawrence); MTL: 33’ Jeisson Vargas
Overview: The Red Bulls maintained their perfect home record with the win over Eastern Conference rivals, Montreal. Bradley Wright-Phillips wasted no time giving the home side an early lead as he finished his 90th career league goal to the far post in the fifth minute. Wright-Phillips’ goal was New York’s fastest goal this year. Montreal’s Jeisson Vargas sent in the equalizer on a free kick from just outside the 18-yard box in the 33rd minute. Vargas’s goal ended New York’s consecutive scoreless streak at Red Bull Arena at 393 minutes in league play. Wright-Phillips was able to set up Kaku, who curled in a shot from just inside the 18-yard box in the 57th minute. Kaku’s goal was the eventual game-winner. Minutes later, Kemar Lawrence ran down the far sideline and sent a perfect cross for Michael Amir Murillo inside the six-yard box. Murillo redirected the pass for his first goal of the season.
- It was New York’s third consecutive league game with at least three goals.
- The Red Bulls extended their unbeaten streak at Red Bull Arena to 11 matches (6-0-4) in league play. New York has outscored their opponents, 29-7.
- Wright-Phillips moved into sole possession of 12th place all-time in MLS with 90 league goals. He raised his career goal across all competitions to 107.
- Murillo became the 13th different Red Bull to tally a goal across all competitions this season.
- Kaku tallied his first career league goal and his second as a Red Bull.
The Red Bulls will be back home on Saturday, April 21, to face the Chicago Fire. Game time is 3:30 p.m.