U.S. Women’s National Team Captain Carli Lloyd and Sky Blue FC’s Sam Kerr are among the 10 nominees for The Best FIFA Women’s Player 2017 award.
Lloyd, a New Jersey native, plays for Houston Dash of the National Women’s Soccer League and this year took her talents to England to play for Manchester City’s women’s team. She also won the FIFA award in 2016.
Kerr, who plays in the NWSL for Sky Blue, has arguably been the league’s top player. As of August 17, the Australian International has 11 goals and 3 assists and has received multiple league Player of the Month and Player of the Week honors for the 2017 season.
As a member of Perth Glory in Australia’s Westfield W-League, Kerr received the Julie Dolan Medal as the league’s most valuable player. She scored a team-high 10 goals in leading Perth to the W-League Grand Final.
Recently, Kerr was a standout during the Tournament of Nations, won by Australia, scoring four goals in the three games including a natural hat-trick vs. Japan.
The other eight nominees for the FIFA award are:
- Lucy Bronze (ENG – Manchester City Women)
- Deyna Castellanos (VEN – Santa Clarita Blue Heat)
- Pernille Harder (DEN – Linkopings / VfL Wolfsburg [Women])
- Dzsenifer Marozsan (GER – Olympique Lyonnais Feminin)
- Lieke Martens (NED – FC Barcelona Femeni)
- Vivianne Miedema (NED – FC Bayern Munich Frauen)
- Wendie Renard (FRA – Olympique Lyonnais Feminin)
- Jodie Taylor (ENG – Arsenal Women)