New York Red Bulls 1
Chicago Fire 2
Goals: NY: 91’ Bradley Wright-Phillips; CHI: 30’ Aleksander Katai, 69’ Nemanja Nikolic (penalty kick).
Overview: For the first time this season New York dropped three points at Red Bull Arena. The loss to Chicago also snapped the Red Bulls 11 match unbeaten streak (7-0-4) in league play. The Fire would lead the match 2-0 before Red Bulls would pull one back. Following a Chicago corner kick, defender Aaron Long headed the ball back to the top of the box where Chicago’s Aleksander Katai was standing. Katai volleyed the clearance, from 20-yards out, to the far post for the 1-0 lead in the 30th minute. In the 69th, Luis Robles was given a penalty as he took down Katai in the box and was given a yellow card. Nemanja Nikolic took the kick from the spot and finished to the left post to double the lead, 2-0. New York responded off their own corner kick. Following Sean Davis’s kick, the ball was loose inside the six-yard box and Bradley Wright-Phillips redirected the ball back into the net to cut the deficit to one, 2-1, in the 81st minute.
- Wright-Phillips has tallied a goal in back-to-back matches.
- Wright-Phillips increased his career league goals to 91. Across all competitions, Wright-Phillips sits with 108 to his name.
- New York overwhelmed Chicago in shots, 22-4, shots on goal, 11-3, corners, 7-4 and possession, 62.8 percent to 37.2 percent.
- New York unveiled their 12th different starting XI this season across all competitions.
- New York is 40-35-20 all-time in the month of April. The Red Bulls have tallied 129 goals and have allowed 114 in the fourth month of the year.
NewYork travels cross-country to play LA Galaxy on Saturday, April 28. Game time is 10:30 p.m.